Many consumers in Australia have doubts and questions regarding the prospect of online shopping in Australia. Using the world wide web, you can shop from local as well as international online stores. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about international online shopping for shoppers in Australia.
1. What is an online shopping portal?
An online shopping portal is a major retail website that partners with other sites so that a buyer has an easier time shopping. For example, www.iShop-USA.com works with many major retail sites so that it offers a buyer a one-stop shopping experience. Similarly, www.shoppingaustralian.com, provides an Australian buyer who would like Amazon access to have full access to not only Amazon but other websites with which it works.
2. What special services does an online portal offer that I can’t find myself?
If you read the requirements of a site like Amazon you will find that they will only ship to specific addresses. For example, if you are an Amazon Australian customer, there is no legitimate street address that is acceptable to Amazon’s shipping department, unless, of course, you are part of an approved Amazon Australian partner. If you are, then you are subject to the many limitations that are put on partners, including the number of goods they can sell. An online portal, on the other hand, will provide you with a legitimate US street address to which a package can be shipped. It will then reship your package to you.
3. If a package is reshipped to me, does that mean I have to figure out the customs paperwork and taxes or duties that I owe?
Of course not because this is part of the service offered by the portal. The operator of the portal not only provides you with the US address, he will also provide you with the shipper of your choice – you usually have several options – but will also figure out the shipping cost and customs duty/tax cost as well. You are then presented with one bill and all it takes is a credit card and your done.
4. What type of savings can I expect if I use one of the online portals to enable Amazon shipping to Australia?
After some quick figuring the other day, it came out to a savings of roughly 46 to 48 percent over the price you would have paid if you had bought it online in Australia or at retail in Melbourne. Using a portal services for Amazon shipping to Australia results in significant savings.
5. Come on now, there must be some hidden costs to all of this, after all you have to make some money. How much would it be?
No, we are certainly not altruists but we’re not greedy either. We want to make sure you get the best deal possible for your money. In light of that, we charge a flat fee of about $8.50 for our service. If you decide to keep our service and work with us monthly, we can work out a special rate for you or we will charge you our base rate of $8.50 per month and you can use us as often as you’d like.
6. Can you honestly say that every transaction you’ve had has been as smooth as silk?
To the best of our knowledge we have not heard of any problems with any of our transactions. The key to this track record is just good, accurate work and ensuring that the proper paperwork is filled out correctly for incoming or outgoing customs.
7. Given the fact that Amazon has its own “global” program and “authorized” sites for Amazon Australia, can you honestly say that we won’t have problems with our transactions?
The way we work with you is that to Amazon you are a US customer with a legitimate US postal address to which they can ship the items you order and a proper email or phone so that you can be notified of the tracking numbers. Since you are a US site to Amazon, you won’t have any problems.
8. Speaking of tracking numbers, how do you keep track of our shipments?
If you look closely at any of our labels or label examples on our site you will see that each one has a special number on it. This is our internal tracking number and relates to the tracking number your parcel receives from the shipper. When we correspond with you, the tracking number we use is our internal tracking number so that our computers automatically find your shipment. It works very smoothly.
9. It’s not that I don’t trust third-party shippers, I’ve heard stories about people who have trusted third-party shippers and have never seen the item they ordered. Can you assure me that I will see the item I order through you?
Unless the company from which you order the item goes out of business or burns down or is hit with a tsunami in its travels to Australia we can assure you that you will receive your item. We will be happy to provide you with users who have shopped through our portal and who are happy with the results.
10. Do you use any other monetary services besides credit cards? In other words, can I send you a money order or bank check to cover things or use PayPal?
Of course, you can use a treasurer’s check or money order to pay for your items, but be aware that we will wait until the check clears the bank before we go ahead with the shipping and this could add another week to 10 days to the time you receive the item. We also do have a PayPal account and you can use that to pay just like you are using a credit card.